Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Why my vote does not matter (and neither does yours)

Supposedly we live in a democracy where our vote matters. Get Out the Vote campaigns tell us how important it is to let our voice be heard. But when we have the choice between Tweedledee and Tweedledum, or is it dumb and dumber, who sound very much alike, it is hard to say we really have a choice.

But even if there was a significant difference between Romney and Obama, it would not make my vote matter one bit. The only way my vote could matter is if it were the deciding vote in a tie or the tieing vote. If neither of these extremely rare cases occurs, my vote does not matter.

There is good evidence that the odds of getting in a car crash increase on election day. I have better odds of dieing going to the polls than of my vote mattering.

No comments: